Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Flat and Opaque.....

Having come through a rough patch and still trudging along on what is a seemingly endless path of bad and slightly better MS days I am feeling rather flat. As I heard in the first Lord of the Rings movie recently, 'like too little butter spread over too much bread."
I am never quite sure how to get a handle on my mood when I am feeling this ground down. I am like a sailing ship caught in the doldrums. It isn't a matter of claiming a better attitude or pulling myself up by my own bootstraps.Or sleeping more or flipping some magical switch. I simply don't have the physical reserves or the mental energy to do much of anything. The odd thing is I am not bored, just flat.
I love words and the power of their meaning-to that end I am one of those odd people who reads the dictionary for enjoyment. I find them particularly useful for putting into word the most difficult of concepts.
In the Oxford Dictionary the definition of doldrums is:
1 a state of stagnation or depression. 2 a region of the Atlantic Ocean with calms, sudden storms, and light unpredictable winds.
And Flat as an adjective is:
1 having a level and even surface. 2 not sloping. 3 with a level surface and little height or depth: a flat cap. 4 (of shoes) without high heels. 5 lacking vitality or interest: a flat voice. 6 (of a sparkling drink) having lost its effervescence. 7 (of something kept inflated) having lost some or all of its air. 8 Brit. (of a battery) having exhausted its charge. 9 (of a fee, charge, or price) unvarying; fixed. (of a negative statement) definite and firm: a flat denial. (of musical sound) below true or normal pitch.
The words in bold readily paint a picture of how my world feels these days.

1 comment:

Living Day to Day with Multiple Sclerosis said...

First off, I can't believe you read the dictionary for enjoyment!! With that said, it is a good thing you do because "doldrums" seems to sum up exactly how you feel. I hope you start getting more energy soon.