Thursday, August 6, 2009

Homage to Star Trek and Carpeting

I am often asked how I stay a person of faith given the difficult path my life has taken. As if calling myself a Christian guarantees a Willy Wonka golden ticket into a magical life of white picket fences, mini vans, and Partridge family living. Were this true; folks would be lining up at the door of every church in the nation. These lyrics (from I Believe, by Barlow Girl) speak to the profound challenge of having faith through all of life:
I believe in the sun even when it's not shining
I believe in love even when I don't feel it
And I believe in God even when He is silent
And I, I believe
(song) (complete lyrics)

Having faith is what carries me through weeks like this past one where I suddenly lost my voice. I cling to a silver thread that winds its way through my every day and on into eternity. Humans see suffering through the lens of their own life time-my years, my house, my job, my broken heart.
My own faith is deeply influenced by too many hours of watching Star Trek, work with me here, where time is fluid and the actions of one person resonate throughout the 'space time continuum' and impact the course of human existence for generations. If I see my own life as part of an unimaginably intricate and immense carpet being woven by a master hand--what I experience in my own lifetime becomes part of something much greater and grander. I may never see how God uses the circumstances of my life, but I do know that if I weren't here that priceless carpet would have a small flaw. The reverberations of my life will carry forward in ways I will never know.
It is never my intention to preach or judge. My words here are simply to answer the question of why I believe, even when He is silent.

No comments: