Saturday, January 2, 2010

Living in a high energy environment

Even a mosquito doesn't get a pat on the back until he's well into his work.

Through with the holidays and well into what counts for winter here in Oregon. My son is home from college and his girlfriend is visiting so it is busier around here than normal. I marvel at the energy and enthusiasm they both bring to the table. It will be great to see what the coming years bring for them. 
We drove an hour into the mountains to a hot spring pool and I was able to get into the pool! It feels so fabulous to be weightless, and I wish I could find some way to be in the water more.
We spent New Year's eve with some dear friends and their 6 month old (today!) daughter. I think I could just sit and hold a baby for hours-although it is nice that I can pass her back any time she fusses or I am too tired. I so appreciate that her parents trust me to know my body and how it is functioning and my ability to hold her. She is at that delightful stage of happy, drooling, giggling, at peace with the world. Just about the best way I know to bring in 2010.
I need to find some better strategies for dealing with pain. This unrelenting aching and muscle spasming drives me mad. I almost cried on the way back to our home today. Stretched out on the seat in the back of the van, my arms were hurting so badly that I couldn't fall asleep. And, right now, I probably shouldn't be using my hands or arms for that matter, but I am stubbornly ignoring the pain and writing this.
Looking forward to another road trip on Tuesday to see a dear friend in her new job. I will have to rest up all day on Monday in order to be able to go.
I yearn to go and be busy and yet, my body seems to be less and less able to handle it. For now, with my son here prodding me along, I am going to go. In spite of pain, fatigue, and mental fogginess I am choosing to let some of his youthful energy prod me along.

1 comment:

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I so agree with pushing yourself along, and going without that youthful energy....we can enjoy the babies and see what energy they have.
Kim